In a world where fake news is rampant all over, and myths are being thrown around like paper towels, there is much discord regarding sexual health. This is to the point that medical institutions and research authorities have dedicated time and effort to debunking myths regarding sexual health, and making the public more informed about what is safe and otherwise. To that end, the following are some misleading myths regarding sex and sexual health, for you to pay minimal to no heed to.
Myth #1: Oral Sex Can’t Give you an STD/STI.
First of all, there are some diseases that are very adept at transmission via fluids. The majority of sexually transmitted infections are in that category, and so oral sex is definitely not a safer option… Cold sores are a brilliant example or an orally contracted infection.
Myth #2: STI’s Can Be Contracted Via a Toilet Seat.
No, this is not true, since there is no fluid transmission here. And transmission cannot happen if there is no sexual activity since the name is ‘sexually transmitted’. You could get a load of other conditions though, such as wet cheeks…!
Myth #3: First Time Sex Cannot Result In Pregnancy.
Actually, this myth has caused a number of pregnancies over the years, especially among young girls on first dates and such. Pregnancy can happen if it’s the first time or the millionth. Pregnancy can only be prevented with the use of contraceptives.
Myth #4: Virgin Partners Can’t Transmit STIs.
First of all, virginity has nothing whatsoever to do with STIs. Second of all, if a person has had oral sex, which in society’s opinion does not constitute a loss of virginity; they are still very much armed and dangerous with an STI.
Myth #5: Douching and Urinating Post-Sex Protect against STIs.
If the two organs have come into contact without any barrier between them, then no amount of prevention can get rid of the infection. The skin on Skin contact is all that is needed for STIs and cleaning out passageways does not help.
Myth #6: Lesbians Are Inherently Masculine.
This is absolutely not true since gender has nothing to do with sexual preferences and orientations. Yes, some lesbians do have a more masculine outlook, however, they cannot be deemed masculine through that. Also, there are plenty of uber-feminine lesbians out there.
Myth #7: Vaseline Can Be Used with a Latex Condom.
While there are some lubricants that can be used with condoms, oil-based lubricants cannot, since they can break down the latex of the condom, and cause it to disintegrate and thin to the point of breaking. Always use water-based lubes with condoms.
Myth #8: Gay Men Exclusively Love Oral S3x.
Once again, gender has nothing to do with preferences. In this case, oral sex is not something that is limited to homosexual men, and it is enjoyed by people of all genders and orientations. And why not, since it is fun!
Myth #9: Homosexual People Can Be Detected On Sight.
In this day and age, when homosexuality is widely accepted and even appreciated, it is quite easy to see who is gay and who is not. However, one cannot identify a gay person just by visual identification. Some people do not express their homosexuality openly, and it is wrong to the label.
Myth #10: Vaginal S3x is Sufficient for Female Orgasms.
This is not true, since only 30 percent of women found it sufficient, according to a recent survey. The rest of the 70 percent required more than just vaginal intercourse for the full stimulation, and could not achieve orgasms on it alone.
Myth #11: Condoms Can Be Reused.
NEVER, EVER use a condom more than once, especially if you are using it to prevent STDs, or even more so if you have an STD/STI. Condoms are meant to be for single use only, and can very easily break with multiple uses. Plus, it is simply disgusting…
Myth #12: Girls Don’t Often M*sturbate.
It may come as a surprise to many, but girls, in some cases, are even more sexually active than men, especially in cases where there is isolation, such as educational institutions. Self-pleasure is not a masculine trait only, and girls do it just as often, if not more.
#Myth 13: Homosexual Intimacy Cannot Transmit STIs.
This one should be very obvious, as there is nothing limiting homosexual couples from engaging in the same sex acts that heterosexual couples engage in. STIs and other sexually transmitted diseases are not limited by sexual orientation, and neither is sexual activity.
Myth #14: There is No Such Thing As Blue Balls.
Yes, a lack of sexual activity can cause some problems within the body, but the often stated myth that not having sex will result in the gonads being completely ruined is not true. Still, it is better to follow the body’s natural urges.
#15. Stay Safe Everybody!
While there are many myths surrounding sexual health, there are also a lot of facts and truths. This is why it is important to always stay safe and within accepted parameters, in order to avoid the risk of painful and sometimes dangerous diseases.